Friday, January 26, 2007

Eggs vs Anchors

My eggs are in one metaphorical basket right now – an environmental analyst/biologist/ecologist position at a firm in Encinitas. . Imagine me hiking through southern California collecting data and writing amazing reports and saving lots of endangered plants and animals! Yes, I know. It’s perfect.

Makela, who works there, really enjoys it - lots of field work (i.e.: hiking), a laid back office, rewarding work. So, keep your fingers crossed for me. I had such a good feeling for the first few days, although I was in the nervous waiting period after turning in my resume. . . !!!

But those first few days have passed now, and despondancy is setting in. I turned in my resume and cover letter exaclt one week ago at 1:13pm last Friday. (I did that for luck becuase in 24 hour tim it's 13:13, my lucky number on my lucky day.) And by all estimations (mine, Makela’s, the other girl who applied and got an interview within a week), they should have contacted me by now if they wanted me.

I called yesterday, and the HR Guru didn’t answer. I hung up on her voice mail, not prepared to leave a message.

I called again today, and left a message. Being nervous, I scripted my dialogue beforehand in a clever way that would allow the lady to reply if she answered or allow me to read it consecutively if she did not. She did not, and I read, and when I hung up I realized I hang up quite quickly and should have also reminded myself in all caps at the top of my script:

BREATHE. READ SLOWLY. PAUSE AT SENTENCE BREAKS WHETHER OR NOT SHE ANSWERS.

But by that time it was too late; it was all over.






















I’m giving up the egg metaphor now. It has done proved me wrong. I’m going to re-frame the whole job-hunting thing. It’s not about hatching an egg. It’s about dropping anchors.

No comments: